- Some of my best friends read my blog, but I never give much credit to how much they mean to me amidst my ramblings. This past week, I discovered just how blessed I am to have friends who wake up at 2:00am to listen to me talk about what a terrible day I had, who reply to my middle-of-the-night emails the moment that they wake up in the morning, who know exactly what to say to make me feel better, who understand my faults and annoying habits -- and still love me. I'm very lucky to have friends who speak four different Asian languages, are award-winning celloists, interned with Rolling Stone before their junior year of high school, attend prestigious art colleges, are straight A students, travel to Italy to sing in choir, and still make time for me. They're the true overachievers -- not me.
- Because I love my friends oh so much, I made cupcakes for two of them because of their upcoming birthdays! I'm going to bake cupcakes for each of my friends when their birthday approaches, in fact. One of my friends loves doughnuts (you can catch him eating two at a time -- creme-filled and oil-drenched), but he is the lankiest boy you will ever meet (I'm very jealous). I made him doughnuts and coffee cupcakes -- I changed the recipe a little bit by using whole-wheat flour instead of white flour and making doughnut holes instead of doughnut rings. For another one of my friends, I made her peach and almond cupcakes using Gala's recipe as a base and adding in almond extract and peach juice. I attempted to make them heart-shaped using a marble to make a dent as directed by yumsugar, but only some of them resemble a heart. Ah well, it's the thought that counts -- and the taste. I love baking, as you can tell.
(Photo Credit -- Style.com)
- London Fashion Week makes me feel very uncool. The collections are always very artsy and sometimes avant-garde, so all I can do is admire the photos and wonder if I'll ever become so well-versed in fashion that I can say something interesting about London Fashion Week for once. That said, Erdem's collection is youthful and whimsical enough for me to fall in love with the complex ruffles and jewel-tones. I can actually see myself in his pieces, unlike the many other collections of London Fashion Week that I can only admire distantly for now.
- I went to Sacramento for a cheerleading competition yesterday, and my team got first place! I never eat at cheerleading competitions -- when I was in Las Vegas, I survived on sugar-free Rockstars for subsistence for three days. I just get far too nervous to eat.
- I was referred by a friend to ideeli, a members-only shopping community where designer goods are sold for up to 60% off. It's completely legitimate (they usually work with the labels and manufacturers) and the prices are amazing ($900 purse for $355!) -- but everything is also sold out very quickly. Please leave your email or email me at miss.couturable at gmail dot com if you'd like an invite to check it out!
- I took my first college visits to Stanford University and UC Berkeley this week! It was absolutely fascinating to see how the two rival schools could be so different, and to discover what I wanted in a college. Each institution definitely has its own gems to offer. Still, I have to visit Vassar, Wellesley, Barnard, NYU, Columbia, Princeton, Yale, and University of Southern California over spring break to get a complete idea of every one of my prospective colleges. Should be fun, yes?